In a thread of technology every day we pour a new bead for our ease and the better life. This technical input is a key feature of the modern world. The first priority of a person after food is its own hygienic house. For a clean house it also struggles every day.
In previous times, cleaning and hygiene were not being considered a huge problem or worth notice but now in modern times cleaning in homes, offices, and every worth living places become a matter of attention.
iRobot company of vacuum cleaners is a well-trusted company that provides its customers with a vast range of Robotic Roomba cleaners. These cleaners provide efficient working even more reliable than the cleaning by hand because the human hand doesn’t reach macro places to clean them out.
In this article, you will go through a talk about Roomba 690 vs 890, the robots provided by iRobot Roomba Company. Roomba 690 is top among 600 series, and Roomba 890 is top among 800 series. This article will give you detailed information about the structure, working abilities, pros, cons, differences and our preferences for you to decide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Roomba 690 vs. 890: which overlaps other?
- 2 Difference between Roomba 690 and 890:
- 3 Quick Comparison Chart:
- 4 Roomba 690 Key Features:
- 5 Roomba 890 Key Features:
- 6 Cleaning Ability:
- 7 Filtration System:
- 8 Wifi Capability:
- 9 Ease of Maintenance:
- 10 Recharge and Resume:
- 11 Navigation and Mapping System:
- 12 Batteries Performance:
- 13 Edge Cleaning:
- 14 Multi-Room Cleaning:
- 15 Anti-Tangled Technology:
- 16 Accessories:
- 17 Cliff Detection:
- 18 Carpet Cleaning:
- 19 Performance on Hardwood Floors:
- 20 Maneuverability:
- 21 Suction Tests:
- 22 Final Verdict:
- 23 FAQs:
Roomba 690 vs. 890: which overlaps other?
It is quite difficult to decide about a thing until you compare it with another thing. The comparison makes you able to know which is better and what more possibilities could be.
In a nutshell, Roomba 890 is more advanced than Roomba 690. Both have the same features but also different at some counts. The price is also a matter of attention as iRobot price is different for model to model just as Roomba 890 is full of smart features but has a wealthy price than 690.
With my preference, Roomba 890 is the best option because it is a house of all abilities we want. So, for your ease and everyday need, the price can be neglect.
Difference between Roomba 690 and 890:
Here are some differences that make the way easy to choose a good model.
- The first difference is the price. The price of Roomba 690 is less than Roomba 890. Roomba 890 costs $150 more than Roomba 690.
- Roomba 690 weight is 3.5 Kg, and Roomba 890 weight is 3.81 Kg.
- Roomba 690 width is 12.99 inches, and Roomba 890 width is 13.90 inches.
- Roomba 690 height is 3.66 inches, and Roomba 890 height is 3.60 inches.
- Roomba 890 indicates when the bin is full and need to empty, but Roomba 690 does not give indications regarding bin.
- The maneuverability of Roomba 690 is less than the Roomba 890. Roomba 690 cannot maneuver around all the objects while Roomba 890 has very good maneuverability.
- Hair stuck in the brushes of Roomba 690 while the Roomba 890 has brushless rollers.
- Roomba 890 is best for large houses, but Roomba 690 is useful for small houses.
- Roomba 890 is good for carpeted houses, but Roomba 690 lacks this ability.
- Allergy removing ability is present in 890 model, as it contains HEPA filtration or AeroForce technology but Roomba 690 equipped of AereoVac technology.
- The updated AeroForce is 5x more powerful than AereoVac in Roomba 690.
- The run time of Roomba 690 is 60 minutes and 120 minutes of Roomba 890.
Quick Comparison Chart:
Roomba 690 Key Features:
- Navigation: It has advanced iAdapt and VSLAM navigation system.
- Virtual Wall Barriers: It comes with one virtual wall barrier.
- Battery run timing: The run timing is 60 minutes that is only enough for small houses.
- Cliff detection: The sensors that detect upcoming down places in front of them which prevents from taking down of these places.
- Wifi connectivity: Wifi capability is good to control robot while sitting or from far places and to set schedules.
- iRobot Home App: Through this app, you can make schedules.
- 3-stage cleaning system: The intake power is of 5-folds. It works on 3 stages; detection, suction, and extractors.
- Voice control command: You can put voice command through Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Sound pitch: The sound pitch is 68 decibel (dB). This level is near about silent mode from the 3-inch far difference.
- Cleaning pattern: It follows the random pattern that is not intelligent enough and also leaves some spots in cleaning.
- Edge sweeping: Edge sweeping brushes are present in it.
Bottom line: Roomba 690 is good for cleaning and navigation. It can control by iRobot Home App. It comes with few exceptions.
Buy the iRobot Roomba 690
Roomba 890 Key Features:
- Navigation: It has an advanced iAdapt navigation system.
- Virtual Wall Barriers: It comes with 1 virtual wall barrier.
- Battery Run Timing: The battery run timing is 120 minutes. It is more reliable for a large house.
- Cliff Detection: Cliff detection saves the body to take off from coming down places in front of it.
- Wifi connectivity: Wifi connectivity is a useful feature to control the Robot through iRobot Home App.
- iRobot Home App: By downloading this App you can control Roomba, can make schedules and you can also put command.
- 3-stage cleaning system: The intake power is of 10-fold. Robot works in 3 stages, the detection, suction than extractors.
- Voice control command: You can also control the iRobot Roomba with the help of voice command through Google Assistant.
- Sound pitch: The sound pitch is the same as Roomba 690, 68 decibel (dB). It is not irritating for a human ear.
- HEPA filters: HEPA filters can intake all allergies, macrons pollen particles, and debris.
- Cleaning pattern: The cleaning pattern is not random like Roomba 690 but has a very versatile pattern that is intelligent enough.
- Mapping ability: This is the most attractive ability of Roomba 890 as it has memory mapping feature. It maps out the home to start cleaning.
- Multi-Room cleaning: Roomba 890 moves room-to-room if there is an opening between them.
- Edge sweeping: Edge sweeping brushes are present in it.
- Bin indication: It indicates when the bin is full and need to empty it.
Bottom Line: Roomba 890 is full of smart features, but it costs $150 more than Roomba 690.
Buy the iRobot Roomba 890
This is the most interesting and attention taking thing in Roomba 690 vs. 890 reviews. In iRobot review for Roomba series, the Robotic bodies are designed in a well-wished manner so a buyer could be satisfy with its budget that he is using for it. Cleaning is a basic goal that iRobot series want to accomplish.
These are some priorities that Roomba 690 and 890 both cover in it.
- Cleaning on hardwood floors, tiles, and carpets
- To prevent floors of scratching
- To collect the pet’s hair
- To remove toxic elements and allergens.
Both Roombas equipped of these tasks, but Roomba 690 is not fit for carpeted floors.
It detects the dust and any other thing that is necessary to clean. So, detection is also an important aspect of these robots.
Another most important aspect is “the suction power.” The intake or suction power is also a basic role of Roombas. Both Roombas pick up dust, debris, pets hair, pollens, and allergens but both have different suction power. Roomba 690 is of 5x power, but Roomba 890 is double in comparison to Roomba 690, as it has 10x power.
Both Roombas can clean in four different modes:
- Auto mode
- Edge mode
- Spot mode
- Schedule mode
Roombas cleaning pattern is different among both models. Roomba 690 moves in a random pattern but Roomba 890 moves in a straight line or with memory mapping plans which is a plus point of it.
Bottom line: For cleaning process both are reliable, but the value of Roomba 690 gets down when we talk about HEPA filters, suction power, and carpeted floor cleaning.
Cleaning of floors and edges is not enough for a home to clean properly. The removal of toxic substances and allergies is also very important because it is difficult for a human to survive for a long period in a place that is surrounded by allergies and harmful materials.
Roomba 890 is equipped of this ability as it has HEPA filtration, but Roomba 690 lacks this ability. HEPA filtration can sweep away all kind of allergies that could happen by pets and their saliva. It can remove 99% of all kind of such particles, pollens, and allergies.
Bottom line: It is difficult for humans to live in moldy houses as they could get prey of asthma. For this issue Roomba 890 equipped of HEPA filters. It intakes all kind of allergens.
The robots that have wifi connectivity are easy to manage. By having wifi connectivity, you can control a robot through iRobot Home App in your smart mobile phones. Through this App:
- You can make pre-planned schedules
- You can give the command to your robot
- You can also make Roomba clean some places twice or more that need more attention in your view.
Some robots are not easy to manage and need human hand to put it room to room for cleaning, but with this respect, iRobot Roomba Robots are well equipped of wifi connectivity. Just give the command and it will work just as you want and it will automatically clean the selected places.
Bottom line: Wifi connectivity is necessary in order to have pre-planned schedules and to give the command for robot.
Ease of Maintenance:
There are some things that are priorities in maintenance:
- Brushless extractors
- Sound level
- Bin indication and process of emptying the bin
Roomba 690 doesn’t consist of brushless extractors but have proper brushes that are not considered well in comparison to advanced models. Roomba 890 has brushless extractors that are easy to manage. Brushes make clusters of hair, and it is difficult to pick them out. So brushless extractor is a good mark feature of Roomba 890, and also it’s a plus point of it.
The sound level of both models is not so high. It is about 68dB (decibel). This level of sound is considered in silent mode. Even the sound of a hair dryer is high than a Roomba robot.
The third and most important thing is of bin indication. In Roomba 690, this ability is not present, but Roomba 890 is well equipped with bin indication detection.
Bottom line: Roomba 890 is good for bin indication and its emptying process, but Roomba 690 is not good for bin indication.
Recharge and Resume:
The recharging performance of both models is different. Roomba 690 run time is about 60 minutes (1Hour) and Roomba 890 run time is about 120 minutes (2 Hours). Both have lithium-ion batteries. Both take 2 hours to recharge
The actual purpose of robots is to do every task automatically, but some models lack some automatic abilities. These two robots can move towards their docking points automatically when the battery life is about to die, but after recharging, they can’t resume their cleaning from which place they left until you put the command by iRobot Home App.
You can also press the HOME BOTTON to send it for recharging if you think that the further cleaning might not be done with present battery life. So, the recharging process could be controlled in two ways:
- By iRobot Home App
- By HOME BOTTON
These robots do not have the “mid-mission charging need system.” They will do their working until the battery is about to finish, but this need could be fulfilled by putting the command on it.
Bottom line: The run time of Roomba 690 is 60 minutes and the run time of Roomba 890 is 120 minutes.
The navigation system of both Roomba 690 and 890 is iAdapt. Both models are different in the feature of navigation and mapping. Roomba 690 navigation is sometimes clumsy. It seems as it is not detecting properly and bumping in obstacles on its way.
This difficulty is due to the lack of a memory mapping system. Here the question arises does Roomba remember room layout. The memory mapping system is not available in Roomba 690 as compared to Roomba 890. Due to the lack of a memory mapping system in Roomba 690, it is quite difficult for it to determine how much area it has to cover. That is why it took too many long ways in cleaning and lost its charging soon.
On the other hand, Roomba 890 is very reliable in navigation and memory mapping. It saves the structure of the house and detects the area that it has to clean in one go. By memorizing the structure of the house, it remains save of bumping in obstacles and upcoming hurdles.
Bottom line: The edge sensor is present in both the Roomba 690 and 890 at the front portion. Both are good in the navigation process.
The good thing about the batteries is that they are not of traditional type batteries but are updated lithium-ion batteries. These lithium-ion batteries are of 1800mAh. The run time of Roomba 690 is 60 minutes about one hour and the run time of Roomba 890 is 120 minutes about two hours.
Another plus point is that both take less time in recharging because of their lithium-ion quality. They quickly get a charge and spend more time in cleaning.
Bottom line: Both have lithium-ion batteries but different in charging life.
The structural shape of the Roomba 690 and 890 is round, and we often come with the question about edge cleaning that how it works for corners and edges. There are brushes at the sides of the body that move dust and other cleanable particles then intake them.
The round shape is good for robots to maneuver all around so they can do navigation 360 degrees. The life span of lithium-ion batteries is longer as compared to the traditional batteries. The edges consume more dirt and debris as compared to floors that is why edge cleaning is also a marked feature of both Roomba 890 and Roomba 690.
Bottom line: Both Roomba 690 and 890 are equipped with side brushes and can do edge cleaning.
The cleaning of rooms more than one also comes into consideration when a person come to buy vacuum robot and asks can Roomba clean multiple rooms. All the Roombas can have this ability but how efficiently a Roomba did this task depends upon these three aspects:
- Charging capacity
- Cleaning patterns
- Opening between the rooms/area without hurdles
If the charging capacity is good, then ultimately a Roomba can move without stop and could cover multiple rooms of a house. The charging life of Roomba 690 is only 60 minutes then it’s a bit difficult for it to cover more rooms except 3 or 4. The charging life of Roomba 890 is dual as compared to 690. It can cover all rooms in provided charging. If you predict that Roomba needs more charging, then you can stop cleaning in mid and command to Roomba for charging.
Cleaning patterns can also effect in cleaning the area. Roomba 690 cleaning pattern is clumsy and random; it takes time as it takes long routes and often shows a strange pattern. But Roomba 890 is very efficiently equipped with this feature by having a memory mapping system. It saves the structure of the house and moves on patterns in a straight line and do not go through the same place where it had done cleaning until you command it to do so.
There should be an opening between each room to pass one to another room. If you pick up your things and clear the floors, then it will save of bumping & charging and could cover more and more area in one go.
Bottom line: Roomba 890 is perfect for multi-room cleaning.
If you are worried about any danger for your carpet fringes and wires that they might get chew by Roombas, then there is no need to worry. Roomba 690 and Roomba 890 won’t harm your expensive stocks. They have detection ability so they can sense everything that comes in front of them then take another path without creating any clusters.
If accidentally the robot climbs over any stock, then it won’t destroy it. But it doesn’t mean that you leave your things on the floors. Roombas also need a clear path for better cleaning. It is also a good point for the maintenance of Robot.
Bottom line: The robots won’t destroy the expensive stocks and fringes of carpets.
The word robot refers to something that is all in all for every aspect. However, it still needs some accessories that prove good for its maintenance such as:
- Virtual wall barriers
- Replenishment kit
- Docking point
Virtual wall barriers prevent Roomba from going to the place that you don’t want it to go. These barriers create a transparent wall that Roomba can detect easily and don’t cross it. Both Roomba 690 and 890 come with a single wall. Virtual wall needs AA batteries to work.
The filtration ability is not present in Roomba 690 while Roomba 890 has this ability with HEPA filters. HEPA filters help to remove allergens by pets.
Replenishment kit contains side brushes, rollers and many kinds of filters. This kit helps in maintenance.
Docking point is a home for Roomba where it comes to get energy by recharging. This is also known as a charging base.
Bottom line: Accessories are available with both models that help in maintenance.
Each house has stairs and sometimes unequal floors. So, it is a big task for Roomba to get down of such places. Roomba cliff sensor is available in both Roomba 690 and 890. This feature prevents the body from fell off any cliff position.
Roombas comes to the end point of any cliff for cleaning but won’t fall off it down. This is a very positive point for a buyer that he can save money rather to spend it for several times.
Bottom line: The most important plus point is that Roomba saves itself off cliffs.
For this feature of carpet cleaning, both are different from each other. Roomba 690 can’t clean properly on carpets and leave spots while Roomba 890 can clean over carpeted floors.
Roomba 890 can collect all kind of macro dust particles, pollens or even allergens. It won’t harm the fibers of carpets. It moves very smoothly over the carpets. The suctions power should be strong on carpets because it is not very easy to collect out the dust of carpets and when Roomba comes on carpets the intake power ultimately increases. Roomba 890 intake power is 10x.
Bottom line: Roomba 890 is perfect for carpet cleaning just like the newest Roomba model 980.
Performance on Hardwood Floors:
These iRobot 690 and 890 both are reliable in their performance on hardwood floors as both robots do not leave any scratch over the floors and do not harm the laminated floors too. It is quite easy to clean hardwood floors as compare to carpeted floors. The suction power of both the Roombas is enough to intake the dust and debris and many other spilled items such as sugar, rice and kitty litter.
When the robots maneuver around the axis in the movement, they do not touch the ground with scratches even move very efficiently and smoothly. Both have very smooth and soft brushes that are enough good for hardwood floors.
Bottom line: Both Roomba 890 and 690 saves floor of scratches.
The objects in round shape maneuver with a 360-degree radius. Both models have this efficiency and can rotate with full radius. This is a plus point for navigation too as it moves in full radius and Roombas can navigate in the dimensions of 360 degrees.
Bottom line: Maneuverability helps in navigation with 360-degree radius.
- The first test was on a high pile carpets. Roomba 690 was not in good rank for high piled carpets and showed poor performance. It performed only 84% for the suction of sugar, kitty litter, dust, and debris. Roomba 890 was much better than that of Roomba 690 in performance but not as good as the Roomba 980. Roomba 890 performed 90% for the suction of sugar, kitty litter, dust, and debris.
- The second test was on low piled carpets. Both Roomba 690 and 890 performed well on low pilled carpets. They even picked out all hidden particles in fibers. So the results were 97% on low pilled carpets of both.
Bottom line: Roomba 890 is all time good for carpeted floors.
There are some recommendations for both Roombas if you are a bit confused in your selection.
- Buy Roomba 690 if you want to save money if your house is small if your house is free of carpeted floors if you don’t have pets and allergens. For a small house, this robot is good with charging life and budget.
- Buy Roomba 890 if your house is large and consist of multiple rooms, if you have carpets in the house, if you are worried about pet hair and allergens if you want a robot full of smart features and if your house is crowded and of full-day foot traffic.
Does a Roomba save itself off cliffs?
All new versions of Roomba models are equipped with cliff detection. It won’t fall of any down place and stairs. In its path it navigates each thing and takes quick decision for a new path.
Do I have to buy a Roomba for the feature of brushless extractors?
It is easy to maintain a Roomba with brushless extractors because the hair did not stuck into rollers. It is difficult to clean brushes full of hair. So, with this respect, Roomba with brushless extractors helps in maintenance.
Do I have to buy Roomba 890 even it costs more than 690?
Roomba 690 is good at cleaning but with some exceptions. On the other hand, Roomba 890 is full of smart features and performs well for each aspect of cleaning. So, price does not matter if you are going to have a robot that is all in all.